When it comes to baby winter outerwear, we often get quite muddled up about what type of clothes we should choose for our kids. So, if you’re wondering what is the difference between baby sweaters, hoodies, cardigans, and sweatshirts, you have come to the right place. Let’s find out in this article.
The Basics about Sweaters, Hoodies, Cardigans & Sweatshirts
- Baby sweaters. A sweater is a piece of knitted or crocheted upper wear that is designed to keep your baby warm by covering the arms and torso. And, since these garments are constructed by knitting or crocheting, they are very soft and elastic, making them a great choice for baby winter outfits.
- Baby sweatshirt. A baby sweatshirt (or “jersey” in the UK) is a collarless loose upper garment that is typically made of cotton, fleece, or polyester. Sweatshirts might feature a closed front or an open front with zippers or buttons. And, it can also come with or without a hood. Despite looking quite similar to sweaters, sweatshirts are made in the same way that sports attire is constructed.
- Baby cardigans. In fact, cardigans are actually a type of sweater but with a very defining feature. Baby cardigans usually have a zipper or buttons on the front, or they can drape/hang open. And, just like sweaters, they are typically made from some knitted fabric. Additionally, a cardigan is meant to be a layering piece rather than a standalone piece.
- Baby hoodies. Hoodie also known as a hooded sweatshirt or hooded jumper is simply a sweatshirt with a hood. This type of clothes often includes a muff sewn onto the lower front. Also, it usually comes with a drawstring to adjust the hood opening. Besides that, a large kangaroo pocket at the front is also one of the distinct features of a hoodie.
Note: If a baby sweater features an open front fastened by buttons or a zipper, then it is called “a cardigan”. But, if not, it can also be called “a pullover” or “jumper”, especially in the UK. By the way, you might want to visit here if you want to see more cute baby sweaters, hoodies, cardigans, and sweatshirt options for kids this winter.
What’s the Difference?
Well, all of these garments are made to keep your baby warm in cold weather. However, with each one’s special design, they will serve your baby well in different conditions.
For example, baby sweaters and sweatshirts are designed to be both base and outer layer if necessary. Meanwhile, hoodies and cardigans are more suitable to be dressed on top of other clothing layers, due to their open design with buttons or zippers.
Dressing as a Base Layer
Even though all of these baby clothes can be made of wool, cotton, or polyester, baby sweaters are always softer and more elastic because they are either knitted or crocheted. That’s why we always recommend them as one of the essential winter clothes for babies’ everyday wear at home in cold seasons.
But, how about baby sweatshirts? Well, this type of clothes is usually made with sweatshirt fleece which is a heavy fabric material on one side and soft cotton on another side. Therefore, if your little baby loves crawling or wriggling, then this one might be a bit too bulky as a base layer for those indoor activities. Nevertheless, baby sweatshirts are still a great outfit to keep your baby warm and protected in winter.
Dressing as an Outer Layer
For the outer layers, while baby hoodies can be full-on protection for your little one against the wind, rain, and even snow, baby cardigans are more suitable to wear indoors or when hanging out with your baby on less colder days. Plus, thanks to the thick fabric and a cozy hood, a baby hoodie is definitely the best option here when it comes to keeping the little one toasty in winter.
Pros & Cons
|Baby Sweaters||– Knitted or crocheted upper wear|
– Softer and more elastic
– Perfect base layer
|– Might be not enough to wear alone when going out|
|Baby Sweatshirts||– Durable|
– Can be worn as a base or outer layer
|– Heavy fabric material on the outside may be a bit bulky|
|Baby Cardigans||– Multiple designs (with zippers, buttons, or drape/hang open)|
– Very breathable
– Great for chilly daysLightweight
|– Need some extra layer for the colder days|
|Baby Hoodies||– A kangaroo pocket|
– Cozy and great for winter
– Waterproof & windproof
– Good cover-up with a hood
|– Some can be a bit too heavy|
Well, that’s it! We hope this article will help you know exactly which type of baby clothes you are missing in your baby’s wardrobe this winter.
Related article: How to Select the Best Baby Girl Dresses for Special Occasions